Okay So, my plight for happiness leads me to today’s post on financial freedom.
I’m sure many of you can relate that most of us work in 9-5 jobs and I was in the belief that we can only achieve better salaries and titles by moving up the career ladder.
Whilst starting my blog, I’ve been inspired by a number of finance bloggers who kindly share their monthly reports. What can be achieved had me in awe and is truly inspiring. This isn’t to be taken lightly though as achieving an income through blogging requires hours of work and in its early stages and a lot of learning. Blogging involves more than just writing posts, you have your marketing, design, building and interacting with your community too.
My long term goal is to follow in the same footsteps and earn a decent income through blogging. We only have one life to live and if you aren’t satisfied and are just going through the motions of life, what have you to lose?
It has been a dream of mine to be able to free myself of a routine 9-5 job, where I can work where I want, when I want and only answer to myself. This takes a lot of discipline though as you will need to be strict with yourself on getting things done.
This journey of mine will be more than just a journey to financial freedom but also work on myself and the rapport I have with myself.
So what have I done so far?
As my blog is very much in its infancy, I have a lot to do and learn. I have only really touched on the below tasks and I am sure there is more to do! It is overwhelming, I wont lie
All perplexed and confused I have read countless advice on first buying domain and hosting so came up with my name which aptly suits Me! My blog represents a journey to better my life in all aspects, although I mostly talk about the emotional and mental side of it. I am very interested in the financial freedom and spiritual side of it too.
I have opted for a domain and hosting from Bluehost.
I chose Bluehost because:
- it is easy to set up a new site up
- their one-click automatic WordPress installation makes it hassle free to start writing
- their prices are competitive
- so far I haven’t experienced issues with it loading slow (as I did with another hosting provider so I left them promptly)
- on the basic account (one I am using) they give you ample website space (50gb)
Bluehost are currently offering unlimited web hosting for $2.95 per month of which you can support me by signing up via my affiliate link here 🙂
I have to say I am not a natural when it comes to design but I have found some truly amazing tutorials on Youtube that literally walk you through step by step. I feel they are more geared towards e-commerce though.
I also made use of some other resources to help design my logo and choose my color scheme (for the old design but will use again when I get round to redesigning my blog).
- Logomakr amazing site that offers countless quality images you can use, however original designer must be credited.
- Color Palette Maker This is simple to use and generates a color palette of which you can then lock down some of the panels and change others.
Having a 9-5 (or sometimes longer when overtime is required) has made it difficult to maintain a schedule. I tried to get up an hour early at 6am to write before I leave to work but it really tires me out towards the end of the week. The hour isn’t long enough to get very far with a post either.
The next thing for me to figure out is to stop being a wuss and to put in place a schedule around my work life and ensure no disruptions will throw it off. No excuses.
As I said earlier, blogging extends beyond just writing. I need to find some time to promote my posts and engage more with other bloggers. I have joined Pinterest but have not found this to have yielded great results yet; however engagement with other bloggers has brought some interest to my blog.
There’s more on my todo list namely:
- Join other social media sites (Stumpleupon, Reddit etc)
- Engage more with other bloggers
- Put in a posting schedule
- Find a blog buddy: I would really welcome having someone who understands the idea of blogging and who can hold me accountable! I am very new to this atmosphere and would love some support. Please drop me a note if you are interested!
Well here goes Wish me luck!
Please leave a comment to say hello!