When I found this garden bench set it was brown – the color of dirt – totally and completely dull. Now it looks like a birthday party! This color choice…or, more to the point, no choice at all…was inspired by my collection of Rustoleum paint. I often buy paint samples just to see how the color and the finish worked on different pieces. Sometimes, though, you find yourself with a bunch of small portions of paint. When you have such a quandary, consider this idea. Think of it as the standard Granny Square afghan without the yarn, but done with a paintbrush rather than a crochet hook – colorful, beautiful, totally unique.
The total cost of this project was $30.00 including the cost of the bench set, which was $15.00. I’d had the tester pots for a while and wasn’t sure how to use them until this came along. I did feel the need to prime the whole thing first just so no brush marks showed the nasty brown underneath. I was very pleased that the paint was self-leveling, so it smoothed out nicely without showing brush strokes at all. I covered it with a coat of poly just because the weather can be rough on any outside furniture pieces.
I think this would be wonderful in a child’s playroom on a pre-school playground if it were done in primary colors.
The point of this project is to set your inner painter free – the paint police will not give you a ticket for creating multi-colored furniture.